I have to say that I have been using Scholastic NEWS for many years now - but if you haven't been - YOU should check it out because Scholastic has done such a fabulous job updating what they offer! I LOVE the articles and everything that include in the subscription. This really helps to teach non-fiction text to my little learners. Next week we will be reading the issue on Penguin spy cams - pretty cool I think the kids are going to love it!
Get your second graders excited to read while meeting Common Core Standards
Take a look at all the exceptional learning resources in Scholastic News:
- Exciting weekly nonfiction covers seasonal topics that connect directly to your science and social studies curriculums.
- A Common Core Tool Kit with every issue helps you teach one "spotlight" Common Core skill with a comprehensive lesson plan, challenging skills pages, and fun online activity.
- High-quality nonfiction grows in complexity as the year progresses and your students become more proficient readers.
- Scholastic News Online expands and enhances the magazine with digital editions, show-stopping videos, and rigorous skills games.
- Support materials include 3 BIG Issues at the beginning of the year, seasonal Easy Easel posters, and in-depth Teacher's Guides.
Launching our Informative Writing unit ~ I will model how to research and write a non-fiction piece about Penguins.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.W.2.2 Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
I am using our TPT unit on Penguins to help but I am also creating MORE for my little learners to use while they write - I am almost finished - so I hope you stop back next week to grab some of it for FREE !
I am getting observed this week ~ so I created a different template to use for my lesson plan. Here is a sample.. If you like it you can find it in our store. I will be posting it sometime this weekend. :) The Thoughtful Teacher Rubric is included. That is what my district uses for our APPR. :)
We have also been working daily on our Winter Word Problems. I am sure you all agree that our students can't practice answering word problems enough! :)
These are FREE in our TPT store ~ stop by today and pick up your set..
WE also have February Math Word problems posted for FREE!
Thanks for visiting our blog ! We hope that you are all staying warm ~ we are bracing for another snow storm! I will be dreaming of February break! I need to start packing now!